30A - Final Reflection

Final Reflection
Yay! Course complete!

1) Read through your posts from this semester. Recall all of the experiences you've had a long the way -- the highs, the lows -- the fun moments, and the moments of drudgery, and even the moments of dread.

As I recall my experience this semester, several experiences come to mind. I wouldn’t say that I had any moments of dread, but I definitely had moments of drudgery. When I kept opening assignments related to interviewing people (so many people) I was not exactly thrilled to complete these assignments. I’m not sure about the rest of the class, but I felt like I was “beating a dead horse” as the saying goes. It actually became really difficult to innovate towards the end. These posts were certainly exercises in stamina and creativity. The high would be coming up with an innovative business concept that has the potential to revolutionize an entire industry. 

2) What sticks out to you as the most formative experience? The experience that you'll remember years later? What was your most joyous experience? What experience are you most proud of yourself for accomplishing?

The most formative experience of this class was reaching out to prospective customers for input. This was out of my comfort zone. However, we grow the most when we are forced out of our little zones of comfort. I enjoyed watching lectures because of Dr. Pryor’s wit and humor. I am most proud of developing a venture concept. I spent weeks narrowing my target market and developing a strategy through the various assignments. The venture concept required all of that research and testing to complete and it was worthwhile in my opinion. 

3) At the beginning of the semester, I mentioned that I wanted each of you to develop an entrepreneurial mindset. Now, at the end, do you see yourself as an entrepreneur? Do you think you have moved closer to developing an entrepreneurial mindset?

I do see myself as an entrepreneur, but I would argue that it (fundamentally) was not because of this course. I’ve had entrepreneurial spirit since I was five. I made bracelets and key-chains that I sold to friends. I also made homemade soaps and beauty products that I sold in my teenage years. I do believe that I have become even more of an entrepreneur because of this course.

4) What is the one recommendation you would make to the students who are going to journey down this path in the future? What would you recommend they do to perform best in this course? What would you recommend they do to foster that mindset?

I recommend anybody going down this path in the future to do their research before they launch a product. I saw a post today on LinkedIn that said the number one reason why startups fail is because the product or service they sell is useless. This is a result of poor market research and poor testing.
To perform well in the course, students must stay on top of assignments and regularly sit down every week to publish posts. They need a mindset of ownership. To foster ownership, they need to want to get an A in the course, and realize that they are the ONLY person who could take away their opportunity of achieving this goal. 

Comments

  1. Great Job! I think I felt the same way regarding the dredge of interviewing people. But I think a lot of the interviews have to do with constantly testing the market against your idea/ product. Without that knowledge, I could see it being difficult to change and adapt. I agree with a lot of what you’ve said here. Everything seems good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenna, I agree with a lot of things you said about this class. I also dreaded the interview assignments and the other assignment I really disliked was the venture concept assignment. I understand the need to do market research and develop your product more, but I felt discouraged looking at the requirements for the venture concept. Seems like you got a lot out of the class and will be able to apply the skills learned in class to reality.

    Michelle Lam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jenna,
    I also didn't look forward to the interviews. I agree that was something I didn't feel comfortable doing but somehow I got through them. I also like what you said about advice to future students about doing their research. It wouldn't make sense to launch a product or service that's useless. I think you did a fine job with all your blog posts this semester and with you the best in the future.
    Excellent Job Jenna!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts