Continuing Research

Continuing Hypothesis Research - Prescription Place


Interviews


Male, 43


Are you taking any prescription medications?
Yes.


Does your insurance cover the cost?
Yes, it covers most of the cost. I only pay 10 dollars a month out-of-pocket.


Are you curious about saving money on medications?
Currently, I think I’m getting a great deal because I have good insurance. However, if I had to switch providers
I would be more eager to find ways to save money on my pills.


Would you be willing to spend to save?
In general, if I spent less than I had to spend on what i was purchasing, and the total was still less than the
original price of the item then yes. However, I would be saving if I didn't spend any money. That’s what saving
looks like in my opinion.


Are you curious about drug manufacturers?
No not particularly.


Do you like commitment?
It depends on what I’m committing to. My wife--absolutely! My cable plan...I’m always looking for better options.
My fitness routine? Yes, it keeps me healthier than I would be without it. It really depends.


Female, 42


Are you taking any prescription medications?
Yes, unfortunately. I never thought I would be on what I am at this age, but that’s life.


Does your insurance cover the cost?
Thankfully I have a wonderful provider through work and I don’t have any out-of-pocket expenses.


Are you curious about saving money on medications?
Oh yes! Even though I don’t pay out-of-pocket, my insurance is still billed. Cheaper medicine would help save
the insurance commitment for other things like emergencies, etc.


Would you be willing to spend to save?
If the cost savings were greater than the cost to save, yes I would.


Are you curious about drug manufacturers?
Yes I am. I’d like to know how they are able to charge so much for medications people need to survive in this
country, when the same thing is so much more affordable anywhere else in the world. I’d like to know how and why.


Do you like commitment?
It depends on the situation. I like committing to people but I am very hesitant about committing to spending money.
It makes me uneasy. I prefer to make one-time purchases, spending more initially one time, than having to commit
to making a bunch of small purchases for a long time.


Male, 27


Are you taking any prescription medications?
No. The majority of prescriptions are toxic and result in side effects that need more prescriptions to treat. It’s a
hamster wheel.


Does your insurance cover the cost?
Knowing the lack of quality insurance in this country, it probably wouldn’t if I was prescribed something.


Are you curious about saving money on medications?
Well I’m interested in saving money and finding new ways of doing so, but I don’t even buy medications so this
wouldn’t apply to me. I do actually take vitamins to help prevent illness so I am curious to know how to find better
deals on those. I actually buy everything through Mannetec via a monthly subscription. Keeps me away from the doctor’s!


Would you be willing to spend to save?
Doesn’t that defeat the purpose of saving? No.


Are you curious about drug manufacturers?
I’m curious to know about their policies regarding budget and pay into R&D. How much revenue actual goes
into researching new medicines that are safe and effective?


Do you like commitment?
Yes, if what I’m committing to is meaningful to me.


Female, 20


Are you taking any prescription medications?
I was actually taking one, but I got off of it because of the side effects.


Does your insurance cover the cost?
Yes, it did. However, my prescription manufacturer would change without notice and there were a few billing mistakes
at that time. Insurance companies are so hard to get a hold of it’s ridiculous. Glad to not have to deal with that again.


Are you curious about saving money on medications?
I don’t think I will be relying on medications, at least not for another 60 years if I’m lucky. I have more important expenses
to find savings for like cable and internet, phone, car insurance, and rent.


Would you be willing to spend to save?
No. I’d rather change providers entirely. I’d rather find a company with a better deal in the first place than spend more
initial to save later. I need instant savings. I don’t like the idea of spending to save, because it doesn’t really equate to
saving in the long term.


Are you curious about drug manufacturers?
Honestly, not really. I would only be curious to know information about manufacturers of pills I’m taking or my family is
taking. In general, no.


Do you like commitment?
Depends on the type of commitment. I don’t like the idea of being tied to something. I do commit to myself, my team,
and my goals, but I stay away from frivolous commitments like Pandora or Stitch Fix.


Female, 28


Are you taking any prescription medications?
No, I’m pregnant.


Does your insurance cover the cost?
It would probably, but I guess it depends on the prescription.


Are you curious about saving money on medications?
With a baby on the way, and thinking about all of the expenses involved with raising a child, I am absolutely interested
in saving money on health care. Are there any particular medications I’m interested in right now? Not sure. I am
interested in finding ways to save on pediatric nutrition like formula and soft food. Since I will be breastfeeding for the
next few months, I’m curious about what supplements and vitamins I can take to help myself and the baby. Those will
probably be expensive, so cost-savings there would be beneficial.


Would you be willing to spend to save?
Yeah, when buying in bulk it makes sense! Costco is a great example! I have a 60 membership fee I pay once a year,
and I get to shop less frequently because I stock up on items in bulk. It saves me time to do other things. I’m going to
need that extra time to sleep and spend with the baby.


Are you curious about drug manufacturers?
I have baby-brain right now so I’m very curious about who is making the infant formula available in the market as well
as baby food at Whole Foods.


Do you like commitment?
I like committing to something I believe in! I am not a serial commuter, but I will invest my time and money into something
that I can find worth in.


Inside the Boundary
Who is in: consumers of prescription medications who do pay out-of-pocket expenses each month for their medicine,
people interested in learning more about prescription drugs
What the Need Is: price comparison tool to save money and gather pertinent information about drugs and manufacturers
Why the Need Exists: the need exists because information about medicine and manufacturers is hard to gather by an
ordinary consumer in an efficient way


Outside the Boundary
Who is Not: people who are not prescribed to any medications, people who are healthy, people who are into alternative
medicines, pregnant women
What the Need Is Not: not a database large enough to find low-cost health goods, not pulling information from non-licensed
manufacturers, not gathering information from outside of the United States
Alternative Explanations: The service provided by Prescription Place could eventually expand to include FDA approved
supplement and vitamin manufacturers in the price comparison database, but in order to exploit this niche of the healthcare
space, it would be beneficial to keep a targeted focus on prescription pills.  


Summary

After going out in the field and speaking with people of different health statuses, ages, and sexes, I was able to refine the
goal and purpose of this opportunity. Prescription Place will stay focused on providing prescription pill information to
members who currently pay out-of-pocket for their prescriptions. The service will aid in finding the low-cost options for
consumers, to save them money in the short term, and to drive down the wholesale acquisition costs of drugs in the
long term. This service would help fight the battle of consumer vs. Big Pharma, empowering people battling serious
health conditions, who are already struggling to pay for medical visits.

Comments

  1. This seems like a good opportunity and possible solution! I know that some drugs are charge 1000% more than what is costs to make; however, I don’t know much about pharmacy laws, so I’m still left with a lot of questions. Would the pharmacy disclose information on the cost of their product? Would doctors allow patients to buy drugs from cheaper, different companies?

    I think laws and regulation would be the only thing stopping this as an opportunity. Also, perhaps a pharmaceutical company would be inside the boundary for using the product if they want to advertise information on competitors and lower costs.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts